The APPG for Drug Policy Reform began in January 2011 with the position of the Group being:-
- That the global war on drugs has failed
- That we will work for drug policy reform
- That the Group will draw upon available evidence and experience in order to inform our recommendations
Achievements to date:-
- International Conference November 2011
- Inquiry Report: Towards a Safer Drug Policy
- European Initiative for global debate and reform of drug policy event January 2014
Contribution by Baroness Meacher to the debate on the Queen's speech in the UK Parliament.
It is important to welcome the Government's review of international drug policy developments and the review of policy in relation to new psychoactive substances. Neither of these two pieces of work is complete, so I understand that there is nothing on those issues in the Queen's Speech. However I am sure that the Government are undertaking the reviews for a purpose and I hope that the Minister can give the House some hope that before the election they will introduce sensible evidence-based reforms that would provide a safer world for our children.
(Hansard June 9th)