The unintended consequences of this policy are now well recognised, a trade in illicit substances valued at more than $350 billion supports the work of terrorists and criminal gangs. Millions of people are imprisoned for addiction which is a health problem and entire countries have been devastated by violence generated by the drugs war.
The Presidents of two Latin American countries, Colombia and Guatemala launched the 'Latin American Initiative' - a call for a global debate on drug policy and an examination of drug policy scenarios. The APPG was asked to seek European support for that initiative.
The aims of the European initiative are:-
- to bring together European Countries which share a commitment to evidence based drugs policies
- to gather the reliable evidence on drug policies which is already available
- to make this information available to others
- to expand the group to other Countries, and
- to discuss and seek to agree a paper outlining evidence based policies
For a copy of the European Initiative on Drug Policy Reform, please click the link below:
European Initiative on Drug Policy Reform